The Kansas City drunk driving accident attorneys at Dickerson Oxton, LLC help victims of negligence recover damages that arise from Kansas City or Missouri drunk driving accidents. Contact us to schedule a free initial consultation with an aggressive drunk driving accident attorney and learn more about our contingency-fee legal services today. Whether you are considering a suit against a driver or an irresponsible restaurant or bar, the negligent party should be responsible for compensating you for injuries and financial losses.
We all know the dangers of operating a motor vehicle under the influence – it impairs our judgment, slows our reaction time, and is a contributing factor in many Missouri and Kansas car accidents. Unfortunately, many citizens of these states lose their lives in drunk driving accidents each year. Between 2003 and 2012, 3,314 Missouri citizens lost their lives in drunk driving accidents, and 1.8% admits to driving under the influence of alcohol, compared to the national average of 1.9%.
Local Kansas City Drink Driving Accident Lawyers
Victims of drunk driving accidents may struggle with the consequences of their injuries for months or even a lifetime. When someone else’s gross negligence leads to your pain and suffering, he or she should be legally responsible for them. The attorneys at Dickerson Oxton, LLC work to secure fair compensation for the full extent of your injuries following a drunk driving accident, including:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and any loss in earning capacity
- Intangible losses such as loss in life quality, pain, and suffering
These losses aren’t something you should bear on your own. A Kansas City accident lawyer can help you discover whether another party might be responsible after an injury with a drunk driver. Let us protect your right to full compensation under the law. Call our office at (816) 368-5637 and schedule a free case evaluation with our firm today.
What to Do After a Drunk Driving Accident in Kansas City, MO
If you or a loved one recently suffered harm due to a drunk driver, understanding your legal options is essential to protecting your right to compensation. Take the following steps after an accident:
- Ask for the police report. The Kansas City Police are required to report to the scene of any accident with reported injuries. If you were receiving emergency medical treatment, it’s likely that you did not get to speak with the responding officer. This officer will create a report that includes any citations, witness information, and other evidence. Contact the police department and ask for a copy of the report. Provide a statement to the police that details the circumstances surrounding the accident if possible.
- Don’t sign. Do not sign any paperwork from insurance companies or agree to recorded statements. Insurance companies may try to present you with a “low-ball” offer for your injuries or ask you to submit a recorded statement for their claim. Do not agree to any of these terms without consulting an attorney first.
- Contact a Kansas City drunk driving accident attorney. An experienced personal injury lawyer in Kansas City can help you understand your legal options and defend your right to fair compensation. Contact us to schedule your free initial consultation with our firm today.
Drunk Driving Laws in Missouri
Missouri, like every other state in the U.S., considers a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 to be drunk driving. In some cases, a lower BAC may lead to drunk driving charges – people under the age of 21, for example, should not have any discernible alcohol in their system.
A person’s BAC may depend on his or her weight, gender, tolerance, and other factors. Unfortunately, many people get behind the wheel of their vehicles when they should not be driving. When this behavior leads to a car accident, he or she will be legally responsible for any damages that result. For more information regarding Missouri’s drunk driving laws, reach out to a Kansas City car accident attorney.