The Kansas City pedestrian accident attorneys at Dickerson Oxton, LLC have extensive experience helping pedestrian accident victims recover damages caused by another party’s negligence. Our compassionate team of Kansas City personal injury lawyers can guide you through the complex area of pedestrian accident law.
Seek Justice and Hire a Kansas City Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Today
In a collision between a pedestrian and a vehicle, pedestrians suffer the most damaging consequences, despite the fact that they are rarely the ones responsible for the accident. Injuries can range from road rash and bruises to spinal cord injuries or even wrongful death. After such a devastating injury, you need the help of an experienced Kansas City pedestrian accident attorney. Victims of pedestrian accidents may struggle with the consequences of their injuries for weeks, months, or even years. We believe you should not have to pay the price for another party’s negligence. We work to recover compensation on your behalf for the full extent of your injuries, pain, and suffering.
While accidents involving pedestrians make up the minority of motor vehicle accidents, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that nearly 5,000 pedestrians die each year in accidents involving cars or trucks. An additional 76,000 incur serious injuries. Several factors may be to blame in pedestrian accidents, from poor sidewalk or roadway maintenance to inherently dangerous urban design.
Contact us to learn more and schedule a free case evaluation today.
Who Is Responsible for Pedestrian Accidents in Missouri?
One of the most common questions we hear following an accident is, “who is responsible?” Though it may seem like the car that hit you would be the obvious defendant, there are many circumstances where another or an additional party may be responsible. Finding the liable party for your injuries is one of the most important aspects of your personal injury case. A skilled Kansas City car accident lawyer can thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your accident and identify any parties responsible for your injuries. The following may play a role in a pedestrian accident:
- The actions of another driver. Often, a driver is legally responsible for any injuries he or she causes to a pedestrian. These accidents may arise from driving distracted, drunk driving accidents, or driving too fast for conditions. Our attorneys use forensic evidence, police, reports, and witness statements to determine who is responsible for your injuries and hold them accountable.
- Government negligence. The government is responsible for maintaining roadways and sidewalks, as well as creating a safe pedestrian environment. If an urban area lacks crosswalks or basic safety features for pedestrians, the local government may be to blame. The Kansas City pedestrian accident attorneys at Dickerson Oxton, LLC look for any signs of negligence by the government and pursue these specific claims on your behalf.
- Any other third-party negligence. Pedestrian accidents don’t just occur because of contact with motor vehicles – for example, pedestrians may sustain injuries in construction work zones or because of a negligently maintained property. We help identify the parties responsible so you can gain fair compensation for your injuries, pain, and suffering.
Damages Available For Compensation in Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents often lead to serious injuries that require long-term rehabilitation and care. Our Kansas City personal injury attorneys help victims of pedestrian accidents recover several types of damages, including:
- Economic damages. These compensate for the quantifiable expenses of your accident, including medical bills, lost wages, and any future medical expenses or loss in earning capacity.
- General damages. These damages address the intangible losses associated with your experience, including physical and emotional pain, suffering, and loss of life quality.
- Punitive damages. When your injuries arise from another party’s gross negligence or intentional misconduct (such as being struck by a drunk driver), you may be able to collect punitive damages, which also punish the defendant for his or her behavior.
Contact a Kansas City Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Auto accidents that involve pedestrians can be absolutely devastating. If you or a loved has been victimized as a result of a pedestrian accident, our Kansas City personal injury attorneys are here to help. For a free initial consultation, please call (816) 268-1960 or contact us via our online form.
“Tom and Chelsea Dickerson took on a big insurance company when they took my case. It was a true David & Goliath story. The insurance company fought us every step of the way for over a year and hired a large law firm to do it. Tom and Chelsea took on the insurance company’s big league attorneys and beat them at trial. They did a great job, and I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone who needs tough attorneys that will stand up and fight for what is right.” – Al S.