The attorneys of the Dickerson Oxton Law Firm in Kansas City are investigating lawsuits concerning faulty knee replacements. If you or a loved one suffered injuries due to a recalled Exactech knee replacement device, contact our firm today.
Why Choose Us?
- The Dickerson Oxton Law Firm takes a client-focused approach to legal representation. We understand how devastating a faulty knee replacement can be, so we work diligently to help each client maximize his or her recovery.
- Our firm has extensive experience with faulty medical device lawsuits, and we can discuss options with you, so you can decide whether to pursue individual claims or join class action lawsuits already in progress.
- We operate on a contingency fee basis. This means that our clients only pay us legal fees when we win their cases.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
If a doctor incorrectly performs a knee implant procedure on a patient and causes harm, the doctor commits medical malpractice. If a knee implant device has a defect that causes harm, the victim has grounds for a product liability claim against the manufacturer. In either event, hiring a medical malpractice attorney dramatically increases the victim’s chances of securing compensation for the resulting damages. While representing your own claim could save money on legal fees, the odds of success are very low, especially when a plaintiff goes up against a medical device manufacturer with virtually endless resources and access to powerful attorneys.
Damages From Defective Exactech Knee Replacements
In April of 2022, Exactech issued a recall of their knee and ankle replacements containing polyethylene components due to a heightened risk of premature wear and resulting implant failure. The injuries arising from the defective products have led to a multitude of lawsuits across the country. Most of the complaints surrounding these faulty knee implant devices include joint infection, pain and swelling, tibial or femoral loosening, and nerve damage. The average lifespan of a knee implant device is 15 to 20 years, but many Exactech devices failed well before this time.
As in any personal injury case, a plaintiff in a knee implant lawsuit can secure various types of compensation, depending on the damages the faulty device caused.
- A patient may be eligible for compensation for medical expenses. A faulty knee implant may require replacement or other corrective procedures. Such a defective device may also cause secondary medical complications including infections and blood clots that require specialized treatment. A plaintiff can claim compensation for all medical expenses resulting from a faulty device.
- A patient may be eligible for compensation for pain and suffering. Recovering from surgery is a painful and unpleasant process, and plaintiffs in faulty knee implant lawsuits often face additional medical complications that may also cause pain. The jury will assess the plaintiff’s condition and consider expert witness testimony to determine an appropriate amount of pain and suffering compensation.
- A patient may be eligible for compensation for lost income. If a faulty knee implant caused the plaintiff to miss work due to corrective surgery or increased recovery time, the plaintiff may be able to secure compensation for the wages lost in that time.
Determining Your Best Legal Options
If you or a loved one had a knee replacement procedure with a device that the manufacturer has since recalled due to a known defect, you may be eligible for compensation. Some plaintiffs may be eligible to join coordinated litigations already in progress, but it is important to realize the trade-off that comes with joining such a litigation. While participating in a Multi-District Litigation (MDL) or other coordinated proceeding is typically more economical than a stand-alone case, they often take longer to prosecute.
Individuals injured by a defective knee replacement should contact the Dickerson Oxton Law Firm today to schedule a free case evaluation. Once we know the details of your situation, we can advise you about your legal options and which options would offer the best chances of recovery.