If you have been injured in a slip and fall action in Missouri, contact an experienced slip and fall attorney in Kansas City as soon as you are able. It happens all too often – you are in the grocery store and slip on an unnoticed puddle of water that has been left unattended. As a guest in any store, you are entitled to certain rights which guarantee your safety. Leaving a water spill out in plain sight does not guarantee your safety and can lead to catastrophic injuries.
Talk to Experienced Kansas City Slip and Fall Lawyers
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, do not hesitate to contact the Kansas City slip and fall attorneys at the law firm of Dickerson Oxton, LLC today. Our Kansas City personal injury lawyers have years of experience in handling slip and fall cases and are aware of how distressing these injuries can become. You should not have to suffer through these injuries alone and rest assured that our Kansas City slip and fall attorneys will work tirelessly to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. We serve all of Kansas and Missouri so contact us today for your initial free consultation.
What a Slip and Fall Legal Representative Can Do for You
A personal injury attorney is often necessary to pursue slip and fall injury claims. He or she can help expedite the claims process and secure compensation in a number of ways.
- By letting a personal injury attorney handle the negotiations process with insurance companies, you are more likely to receive appropriate compensation. Claims adjusters have a duty to exercise good faith and fair dealing in the evaluation and payout of your insurance claim, but ultimately will prioritize the interests of the insurance company. An attorney with slip and fall experience knows what your claim is actually worth and will negotiate fair compensation from the insurance company for the full extent of your damages.
- You have the benefit of a contingency-fee process. Your personal injury attorney will not charge any fees unless he or she obtains a settlement or court judgment on your behalf.
- Explore all your legal options. Do not take an initial settlement from an insurance company as your only offer. An attorney can help you determine other legal options such as mediation or litigation, to assist you in receiving maximum compensation for your economic and noneconomic damages. Contact the attorneys at Dickerson Oxton, LLC today to schedule a free review of your case.
Missouri Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall injuries can occur in a number of places, ranging from a friend’s house, grocery store, restaurant, or a hotel. While typical slip and fall cases occur as the result of a spill that was not properly cleaned up, they can also occur as the result of other negligent property care, such as exposed wires or old walkways. All the preventive measures should be taken to avert any injuries to property owner’s visitors. Property owners are tasked with the responsibility of ensuring their property is safe for all guests, which includes hazards which they may not even know about. As a guest on a property, you afforded the highest protection and should not be receiving injuries during your visit.
Regardless of the situation, if you were injured as a result of someone else’s negligence in not keeping their property safe, you are entitled to receive compensation for your injuries and may wish to speak with an accomplished Kansas City premise liability attorney with experience in these type of cases.
Who Is Responsible for a Slip and Fall Injury?
No exact formula exists for determining responsibility in a slip and fall case. Liability will depend on several factors, such as who owns the property, his or her duty of care to you, and the presence of any dangerous conditions on the property. If you suffered injuries in a slip and fall or trip and fall accident and believe that someone else is responsible, there are some general rules to follow to determine if someone else is liable for your injury.
In most cases, slip and falls must arise from an inherently dangerous or defective condition existing on a property that an owner knew about. To establish liability in a slip and fall case, a victim’s attorney must be able to show proof of several essential elements.
- The owner of the property created the dangerous or defective condition
- The owner knew about a dangerous or defective condition but failed to correct it
- The defective or dangerous condition had existed long enough that an owner should have known about it
Lastly, to collect compensation in a slip and fall accident, the injury that a victim incurs must be reasonably foreseeable. In other words, any ordinary person could have seen the potential for injury arising from the condition of the property itself. The criteria for establishing responsibility also varies depending on the nature of the property.
Commercial Property Owners/Possessors
In order to collect compensation from an injury arising on a commercial property, such as a business, store, or restaurant, a plaintiff’s attorney must show that the commercial property owner or possessor is responsible in some way.
- The owner, possessor, or employee causes a worn spot, wet spot, or other condition that was dangerous.
- The owner, possessor, or employee knew about the dangerous condition but did not rectify it.
- The owner, possessor, or employee should have known about the condition because any reasonable party would have discovered and repaired it.
Residential Property Owners/Possessors
In a residential setting, landlords may be responsible for the negligent upkeep of their properties and owe a duty of care to tenants. Invitees to any residential property may hold the owner of a property liable for injury when an injury was a foreseeable consequence of a dangerous or defective condition.
Government Property Owners
Slip and fall claims against the government are unique and follow special rules and procedures. Notice of claim requirements and government immunity provisions may affect a claim.
Types of Slip and Fall Injuries
Injuries from a slip and fall case can range in severity, but frequently involve scrapes, bruising, and even more severe broken bones and internal bleeding. These injuries should be compensated for by the property owner, which is why it is important to contact a highly skilled Kansas City slip and fall attorney shortly after your injury. Property owners often rush to remedy the situation by repairing their property before you bring a case and therefore, it is important to get a case started as soon as you are able to.