A personal injury accident in Kansas City can lead to thousands of dollars in expensive medical bills and lost wages. It could also cause physical pain, emotional distress and mental anguish. The laws in Kansas and Missouri allow injured accident victims to seek financial compensation from the parties that caused their injuries. If you or a loved one in your family has suffered injury from a preventable accident, contact the Kansas City personal injury attorneys of Dickerson Oxton Law Firm for a free case evaluation. We can provide general information and legal advice to help answer your questions at a no risk free initial consultation.
Kansas City Personal Injury Resources
- Why You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
- What Are Common Examples of Personal Injury?
- What Are Common Accidents that Result in Personal Injury?
- What Is the Statute of Limitations for Filing a Personal Injury Suit?
- Do All Personal Injury Cases Go to Court?
- How Much is My Personal Injury Case Worth?
- How Do I Choose a Good Personal Injury Lawyer?
- Contact Us
Why Choose Us?
- Our injury trial lawyers have decades of practice area experience
- Our attorneys are always transparent and honest – we never guarantee settlements or verdicts
- Our lawyers truly care about their clients and show it through personalized strategies
- Our Missouri law firm accepts many different types of cases within personal injury law
- Our injury attorneys do not charge unless they win the case
Why You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer in Kansas City
Navigating an injury claim in the legal system can be difficult without assistance from a lawyer. The legal process can involve many insurance company claims process that are complicated and requires at least a basic understanding of the related rules and laws. Once you submit your claim, the insurance company may treat you unfairly to avoid paying you the full amount of damages. If you hire a PI attorney, he or she can negotiate with the insurance companies claims adjusters, while you are in the hospital or focusing on recovery. A full experience with a legal team that has a quality track record, specializing in injury claims, can help victims recover maximum compensation for their losses.
What Are Common Examples of Personal Injury?
A PI claim could name a driver, doctor, employer, product manufacturer or many other parties as the defendant. It will seek to hold the defendant financially responsible for the plaintiff’s injuries. At the Dickerson Oxton Law Firm, we have helped clients with a wide variety of injuries. Our lawyers specialize in services in the following legal practice areas:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Boating accidents
- Dangerous premises accidents
- Slip and falls
- Criminal attacks
- Construction accidents
- Work injury accidents
- Nursing home abuse
- Dangerous drugs
- Dog attacks/animal bites
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Wrongful death
If you have a broken bone, pulled muscle, herniated disk, spine injury, neck injury, head injury, traumatic brain injury, laceration, burn injury, injury from faulty medical devices or another type of serious injury from an accident in the Kansas City area, do not hesitate to contact us about a lawsuit. Injured people have a limited time in which to file your claim. Act quickly to reduce the chances of missing your state’s statute of limitations and losing the right to file.
What Are Common Accidents That Result in Personal Injury?
Many different types of accidents can result in personal injuries. Most are avoidable incidents, not true accidents. They occur when one or multiple people negligently fail to fulfill their duties of care, resulting in serious injuries to one or more victims. One of the most common types of accidents that lead to legal claims in Kansas City is car accidents. Collisions involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians cause catastrophic injuries. Someone else may owe you compensation for vehicle accidents depending on the circumstances and the fault laws in your state. Other common accidents involve dangerous premises. A premises such as a grocery store, hotel or gym could contain defects that cause serious injuries. Dangerous products can also cause injuries. Defective or dangerously designed products could injure consumers, including children. Our Kansas City injury attorneys investigate all types of product liability injuries and accidents for signs of negligence.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Filing a Personal Injury Suit?
Dependent on the state where the personal injury occurred will dictate the amount of time that a victim of personal injury has to file suit against a negligent individual. It is important to remember that states can have different periods of time for statutes of limitations.
Missouri – If you have suffered an injury that occurred in the state of Missouri, you have five years from the date of the injury to file suit against the at-fault party. The state of Missouri is one of seven states that has a statute of limitations that is three years or longer.
Kansas – The Jayhawk state has a two year statute of limitations. If you or a family member were injured in the state of Kansas, the case needs to be filed within two years from the date of the injury. If for any reason you fail to file the injury claim within the time limit in the state where the injury occurred, you are risking your right to sue for damages. For this reason, it is imperative that an injury victim file a case before the statute of limitations expires. The sooner you act, the sooner the legal proceedings can play out. If you have suffered injury as a result of another’s fault, contact a personal injury attorney to help navigate your case through the appropriate channels.
Do All Personal Injury Cases Go to Court?
Going to court for a personal injury case is possible, but not probable. The vast majority of cases settle without trials. Achieving a settlement means coming to an agreement with the defendant before filing a lawsuit. Most insurance companies are motivated to settle rather than go to trial since they stand to lose more money in court. Oftentimes, the ability to go to court – having an attorney represent you – serves as enough of a threat to motivate an insurance company to settle. A settlement does not necessarily say that one person was right and the other was wrong. Instead, it is a mutual agreement to drop the case and avoid a lawsuit by resolving things during pre-trial negotiations. It is an agreement for the insurance company to pay the injured victim a certain amount of money to avoid a trial. A settlement can resolve part or all of a case. If it only resolves part of a case, a judge or jury may be necessary to resolve the remaining parts. You can increase your chances of achieving a successful settlement that accurately depicts the value of your claim by hiring a lawyer. An experienced attorney can negotiate with an insurance company for you to ensure a fair outcome. An attorney can also give you an honest opinion if it will be in your best interest to take your case to court.
How Much Is My Personal Injury Case Worth?
Personal injury cases can vary substantially based on the unique facts of each case. There is no one size fits all answer to this question. The damages awarded for a catastrophic injury involving life altering changes, will differ from a case that involves a less severe injury.
Compensatory Damages – Compensatory damages are awarded to individuals that have been injured and incurred loss. These damages are awarded in court to help offset the damage that the victim has suffered. A few common examples of compensatory damages are:
- Lost wages
- Loss of future employment
- Medical bills
- Future medical treatments
- Medical equipment
- Increased living expenses
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional distress
Punitive Damages – When the conduct of the defendant is especially harmful, punitive damages can be awarded to the plaintiff. These damages are considered punishment to the defendant and are awarded as a result of the court’s discretion. At Dickerson Oxton, our highly experienced Kansas City personal injury attorneys have a proven track record recouping damages for our clients. We have resolved numerous personal injury suits, some of which range between five and seven figure settlements.
How Do I Choose a Good Personal Injury Lawyer?
Hiring a lawyer can be the best way to strengthen your PI case and improve your chances of success. Just any lawyer, however, might not serve your purposes. Take the time to find a lawyer who shares your goals. The lawyer you choose should be well-suited for your specific type of case. You should feel confident in the lawyer’s ability to fulfill your needs. Search for signs of the right lawyer before making your choice. Being diligent in finding a good lawyer for you and your case is incredibly important.
- Knowledge is key in hiring a good personal injury lawyer. Your attorney should have years of hands-on experience in his or her field of law. Your lawyer needs to have an in-depth understanding of the processes associated with personal injuries. Your lawyer should also have experience specifically with your accident or case type.
- Trial capabilities. Your lawyer will ideally have the power to represent you in court. While most cases do not need to go to court, the ability to do so could save you from having to switch lawyers later in your claim. Trial experience can also help convince an insurance company to treat the claim more fairly.
- Check for evidence of a good reputation in the community, positive client testimonials and successful case results. These trademarks can serve as proof that the attorney has what it takes to handle your case and achieve a positive outcome.
- The law firm you select should have the resources necessary to complete your case from start to finish. This includes connections to investigators and experts, advanced legal knowledge, legal personnel, and technologies to make your case more efficient.
- Fee transparency. Ask the lawyer about how much he or she charges. Your lawyer should provide a clear and honest overview of how the law firm charges. Most personal injury lawyers take clients on a contingency fee basis, meaning they won’t charge their clients unless they succeed in winning them compensation.
Due diligence in finding the right injury lawyer for you can make an enormous difference to your case. Do not be afraid to shop around, schedule free consultations with more than once choice and ask questions. Hiring the lawyer you think will best represent you during your case can give you the peace of mind you need to focus on your future.
Someone may owe you financial compensation after causing your accident in Kansas City. The lawyers at the Dickerson Oxton Law Firm understand how to handle these cases and act as trusted advocates on behalf of our clients. When you or a loved one are impacted by a serious injury, not at fault of your own, the medical care and looming bills can have a drastic impact on your current and future financial well-being. Our law firm accepts injury cases as well as wrongful death suits. Call (816) 268-1960 or contact us online for a free consultation if you have questions about your individual case in a recent accident. At our law firm, our experienced legal representation handles all cases on a contingency fee basis. This means our clients do not pay anything unless our attorneys successfully recover compensation on your behalf.