What If You Get Into a Car Accident and the Other Party Does Not Have Insurance?

Car accidents are a very common occurrence in Kansas City. Thousands of people suffer injuries and even die in motor vehicle collisions, leading to severe financial and emotional damages. However, you can recover compensation for your car accident injuries through an insurance claim – but what happens if the other driver involved in your accident does not have insurance? You can still claim compensation for your injuries, but it may be a more strenuous process.

Kansas and Missouri Car Insurance Systems

Depending on which side of Kansas City you get into a car accident in and what type of insurance you have, you will have to follow that state’s car insurance requirements. Kansas and Missouri follow two different car insurance systems – Kansas follows a no-fault system, while Missouri follows the traditional fault-based system.

In Missouri, the driver who causes the car accident will need to pay for the damages you suffer as a result of his or her negligence. These damages include medical expenses, property damage, lost income, and so on. You can claim damages by filing a claim with the other driver’s insurance company or your own insurance company, or you can file a personal injury lawsuit in Missouri civil court.

Kansas follows a different system. Each driver is responsible for covering his or her own losses. The state requires each driver to carry a minimum amount of personal injury protection insurance to pay for medical expenses and other out of pocket losses. If your personal injury protection coverage is not enough to cover for your injuries, you can claim more compensation through a personal injury lawsuit or by filing a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage in Kansas and Missouri

Depending on the state you suffer injuries in and the type of insurance you carry, you can still recover compensation to recover from your accident. In Missouri, all drivers must carry a minimum amount of uninsured motorist coverage in case they are in accidents with uninsured drivers. If you meet the minimum requirements for Missouri car insurance coverage, you have at least $25,000 in bodily injury coverage per person and $50,000 in bodily injury per accident for your injuries. You cannot receive compensation for vehicle damage under this system.

In Kansas, you also must carry a minimum amount of uninsured motorist coverage, in addition to your personal injury protection benefits. You should carry $25,000 in liability coverage per person involved in your accident and $50,000 per accident in liability coverage.

What If You Need Additional Funds?

In many situations, the funds you can receive through your insurance policy may not be enough to recover from your damages. You may face excessive medical bills for severe injuries, leading to weeks or months of lost wages. You could also need extensive car repairs and need help recovering from disabilities, emotional distress, and more. While you do have options to seek additional compensation, it could be difficult to receive these funds if the driver does not have an insurance company to back him or her up.

Purchasing higher amounts of liability coverage than the minimum can help you cover your bases in situations involving uninsured drivers. You could also file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver in Missouri or Kansas civil court, which could help you claim funds in excess of what your insurance provides. However, without an insurance company, the driver may not be able to pay for your expenses out of pocket and you may not receive these funds for a long time.

If you suffer injuries in a Kansas City car accident with an uninsured driver, you still have options to collect compensation. Contact a Kansas City car accident attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options and begin the legal process.